Friday, June 3, 2011

I looked more closely



I was wrong in my last post. The fledglings and parent are NOT "exactly the same size". What I found even more touching is to see that the babies are quite plump while the parent looks thin and bedraggled. In fact I'm seeing two and three little babes fluttering on the nearby branch while "mom" frantically pecks away at my suet feeder and then stuffs the goods into their squawking, open mouths. I wasn't able to capture a focused photo of the gaggle - my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01 is a bit long in the tooth if extremely high class for its vintage. One geeky perk at a time; a fat, 14 megapixel Canon PowerShot is on my radar.

Monday I leave for the Northwest. My blood counts are down again. I don't know why. Today I am less depressed about it and more "stroppy" as my British friends might say. If the numbers descend to zero, I know that God still loves and looks after me.

Now to fine tune this trek......

3 comments:

  1. Diane

    For some reason Google is not letting me sign in, so I'll have to post as "anonymous."

    I am bummed that your blood counts are down again; how frustrating that must be for you. Maybe your body just likes it up there in Naturopathy land, or Gig Harbor.

    Your post reminds me of this Monastic poem:

    St. Romuald's Brief Rule for Camaldolese Monks

    Sit in your cell as in paradise.
    Put the whole world behind you and forget it.
    Watch your thoughts like a good fisherman watching for fish.
    The path you must follow is in the Psalms — never leave it.
    If you have just come to the monastery,
    and in spite of your good will you cannot accomplish what you want,
    take every opportunity you can to sing the Psalms in your heart
    and to understand them with your mind.
    And if your mind wanders as you read, do not give up;
    hurry back and apply your mind to the words once more.
    Realize above all that you are in God's presence,
    and stand there with the attitude of one who stands before the emperor.
    Empty yourself completely and sit waiting,
    content with the grace of God,
    like the chick who tastes nothing and eats nothing
    but what his mother brings him.


    Have a blessed and healing trip
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this poem, Steve. It lands fully and resonantly in my heart. Bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your blood counts are down, then it's truly time for a visit north. Perhaps it's the stress of maintaining that has driven them down. It's important to be good to yourself, to do those things that strengthen the heart and soul and not just the body. I think your trip will be good for all three.

    May your drive be safe. The weather has finally turned the corner into full-blown loveliness. At least most of next week looks like it will be summerish. Just remember, as you drive, as you visit the clinic and retreats, as you visit with friends, to let the Divine lead you where It will. This is a healing journey, and should be filled with joy.

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete