Friday, March 19, 2010

Psalm 90, re-visioned

When I stayed most recently with my dear friends Tony & Ali in Scotland, I would walk slowly through the wood behind their bothies, breathing in the air and putting my arms out to the trees and God in nature, saying, "Please come into me and revive my tired bone marrow..... transplant your God-holiness into me now!" I didn't do this every day but I did it more than once. This past week of psycho-shakeup finds me actively visualizing yet again the revivification of my insides, that dried marrow that I now ask in Jesus' name to come alive, like in the Valley of the Dry Bones in Ezekiel 37. I'm seeing a plump and revived marrow pumping out vigorous white cells and neutrophils, leaping into my bloodstream and getting ready to show all that God is even more powerful than my considerable array of herbs and potions.

I would walk this trail in Morayshire and pray.

Acceptance is a very high state. And the Serenity Prayer gives me options: God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. On a seemingly smaller scale I did that this morning during Morning Prayer.

I don't remember which psalm I was reading, but it was the one appointed for today. And I read it dutifully. It was dire, dour, lackluster.... I had an attitude and I didn't like it. "But it's the appointed Reading!" I thought.

And then I thought, "I will read some other psalm NOW." I grabbed a glorious book that was gifted to me during the St. David's Women's Retreat back in October, in Sewanee, Tennessee..... and found this lovely reweaving of Psalm 90 by Nan C. Merrill. I will share it with you now.

Eternal and Immortal One, You have been
our refuge in all generations.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
before You had formed the earth and
the world, from
everlasting to everlasting,
You are the Alpha and the Omega.

When our days on Earth are ended,
You welcome us home to your Heart,
to the City of Light,
where time is eternal
and days are not numbered.

You gather those who love You as
friends returning from a long
journey,
giving rest to their souls.
You anoint them with the balm of
understanding,
healing wounds of the past.

For our days on Earth are a mystery,
a searching for You,
a yearning for the great Mystery
to make itself known.
The years pass and soon the
Harvest is at hand,
a time to reap the fruit of
one's life.
Who has lived with integrity?
Who will reflect the Light
Who can bear the radiant beams
of Love?

Who have reverenced the Counselor,
and opened their hearts to the
Spirit of Truth?
Teach us, O Beloved, to honor each day
that we may have a heart
of wisdom.

Awaken us, O Holy One! Too long
have we been asleep!
Have mercy on your people!
Help us to wait in Silence listening
for your gentle Voice;
Strengthen us with courage to
face the fears within.
O, that we might be converted in
our hearts
and walk together in peace and
harmony!
Let your Love be known to the nations,
your glory to our children's
children.
Let the grace and gentleness of the
Holy Spirit be upon us,
guiding our feet upon paths
of Love Consciousness
Increase the Light within us -
O Beloved, heart our prayer!
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Girl good to see you're still kickin' !
    Love the picture of the walk in Moray - is that the one by Randolph's Leap ? Wee used to go there a lot - and it WAS peaceful there.
    Hang in there.
    Mike and Karen

    ReplyDelete